I decided I needed to make them more exciting and did a quick search for sweet and spicy walnuts. This recipe does have a lot of sugar, but you don't add any extra oil and I always feel like homemade is better than store bought. A quarter of a cup of these is filling, crunchy, sweet, salty, and so yummy!!! The added cayenne pepper adds a little kick at the end, which you could leave out if you want (bought don't, please!).
Sweet and Spicy Candied Walnuts
- 1/3 cup dark-brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 11/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound walnut or pecan halves or whole peeled hazelnuts (or a mix)
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon, making sure there are no lumps; set aside.
- Beat egg white and water until frothy but not stiff. Add walnuts, and stir to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread sugared nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet fitted with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and separate nuts as they cool.
- When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl, breaking up any that stick together.