Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pulled Pork

I've been totally slacking lately.  Not only have I not posted much, I haven't been baking much either.  And it seems like everything I have baked lately is a repeat from the past few weeks.  I made those grapefruit lemon bars two nights ago, but this time just with lemon.  They are a bit too tart.  So, I am going to share another dinner that I have made recently that Max and I thought was very yummy.  Crockpot Pulled Pork!!!  If that doesn't sound delicious, you need to get your taste buds checked.

This is a super easy, super yummy way to make pulled pork at home without a fancy smoker.  The ingredients are really easy, and you will most likely have many of them in your pantry already.  The one thing you may have to buy is a pork butt (pork shoulder, etc. There are a lot of different names but just something good for pulled pork).  I got mine at the butcher, but a grocery store may sell them.  We just don't have a lot of really good grocery stores in town and its sad :(

Now for the recipe:

Crockpot Pulled Pork
adapted from: A Year of Slow Cooking 
*my notes in italics
  • 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder*
  • 1 onion, sliced in rings 
  • 2 cups ketchup (a 24oz bottle seems to be exactly 2 cups) 
  • 1/2 cup warm water 
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I probably added about a tablespoon)
  • 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (again, I added about a tablespoon and I used the Chipotle kind)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or more depending on taste)
  • 1-2 tsp liquid smoke
  1. Use a 6 quart crockpot
  2. Trim meat, and place into your crockpot. Add sliced onion. 
  3. Squeeze in 2 cups of ketchup, and then pour 1/2 cup warm water into the ketchup bottle and shake. Pour the ketchup-y water into your crock. 
  4. Add vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, Tabasco and salt.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
  6. Take the meat out and shred with two forks.  Pour some sauce over the meat and then more over it when you make a sandwich.  I wouldn't recommend  shredding the meat in the pot with the sauce because it may become too "sauced."
  7. Serve over rice, or make sandwiches on rolls or sliced bread.
*Note: Make sure you trim the fat off of your meat.  I made the mistake of not doing this and the sauce was a little greasy.  It should still be nice and tender since it is braising for such a long time in so much liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment