Friday, August 6, 2010

Cruise of the Baltic July 2010

We (Mark, Joann, Allison, Matt, Joseph, Max, and I) recently went on a Cruise of the Baltic Sea.  We lived on a big boat for 12 days.  We started in Amsterdam and continued on to: Rostock and Warnemunde, Germany; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki and Porvoo, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallin, Estonia; and Copenhagen, Denmark.  During this time we ate some fabulous food and, since this is a food blog, I thought I would share some of our culinary pleasures during our travels.


Pancake with bacon and cheese in Amsterdam.
Croquettes in Amsterdam.  Tasted like deep-fried biscuits and gravy.
A little bird, I can't remember which kind right now!
Cheese and bread in Warnemunde, Germany.
Potato pancakes and fresh sauerkraut in Warnemunde, Germany.
Seafood risotto on the boat.
Strawberry soup with creme fraiche.
Steak with a cream sauce on pasta.
Crepe with a Grand Marnier sauce and vanilla ice cream that was made fresh on the boat.
Raspberry cream with peach sauce and whipped cream in Finland.
Escargot! It was so delicious that I ordered it three times on the boat.
Chicken spring rolls.
Seafood linguine with shrimp, scallops, calamari, and mussels.
Crepe cigar with pastry cream filling and a dulce de leche sauce.
Chocolate mousse with raspberry creme and Chambord topping.
I believe this was a mushroom and goat cheese puffed pastry.
Chilled butternut squash soup with sage.
Petite filet mignon with pea flan and fresh potato chips.
Another rich, delicious chocolate dessert.
Sorry this is crooked.  This was a popular dish in Copenhagen, an open faced sandwich.  This one had salmon, caviar, onion, and an aioli.
Steak tartare.  This was very delicious.
Mushroom and pearl onions within a puff pastry.
A palate cleanser during a formal dinner.  This one was passionfruit.
Lobster tail with shrimp and scallops and a lobster risotto.
Lamb shank with carrot mashed potatoes, baked apple, and cooked red cabbage.
Chocolate mousse pit with chocolate sauce.
I don't remember the name of this one, but it was like a light cheesecake with a coconut crust and passionfruit topping.

You'll notice that I have an abundance of dessert pictures.  Most nights, desserts looked so good that I ordered two.  I couldn't help myself!  Sometimes, I felt as if I was eating my way through Europe, but that is not a bad thing!  I tried a lot of things that I hadn't tried before, including steak tartare, escargot, and pate.  I hope you enjoyed this small taste of my culinary trip through Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment