Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lemon Iced Cookies

I had the urge to bake again yesterday (but really, when do I not have this urge?) and I had bought way too many lemons for lemon bars that I made last Friday.  Feeling like I should probably share whatever I made with the lovely people I work with, I searched tastespotting and found some quick, easy cookies that called for lemon.  These cookies are cake-y and light and remind me of spring.  Even though citrus is a winter fruit, it still always reminds me of warm weather.  These were gone the same night I made them; I brought most of them to work and Max finished off the rest, so you know they must be good!



Lemon Iced Cookies
from: Do Better

for the cookies:
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • juice from half a lemon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
for the icing:
  • 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 T light corn syrup
  • juice of half a lemon
  • zest of a whole lemon
  • 1 T water
  1. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a measuring cup, combine milk, lemon juice and vanilla.
  2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Mix in flour mixture, alternating with milk on low speed. Mix until smooth.
  3. Scoop out batter onto a silpat lined baking sheet, about 6 to a sheet as they do spread. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 11-13 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool two minutes on a tray and then transfer to a cooling rack.
  4. While the cookies are baking, mix the confectioners sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest and water. Once the cookies have cooled slightly, spread the icing over the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment