Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chicken Tikka Masala Take 2

I have been on a quest to make a really good Indian dish.  I love Indian food and have wanted to recreate the flavors that I love from restaurants. I posted a recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala before and that was good, but I think this recipe was better.  I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, but I would recommend the thighs so that the chicken doesn't dry out.  I also chose to cook the chicken in the oven because I was feeling ultra lazy and didn't feel like skewering the chicken and grilling it.  I hope you give this a try!

Chicken Tikka Masala
from: Indian Simmer
Ingredients:
For Chicken Tikka: 
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into cubes)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper1 1/2 tsp ginger, very finely chopped or in a paste

1 tsp garlic, minced1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup yogurt (any fat % is fine)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Salt

For the tomato sauce:
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (pureed)
1 tbsp garlic paste (I used minced garlic)
1 tbsp ginger paste (again, I used minced)
1 tbsp onion powder (optional)
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp powdered black pepper
1 tsp garam masala 
1 tsp powdered fennel seeds
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil 
1 tsp chopped cilantro (for garnish)
Salt

Method:

For Chicken Tikka:

  1. Mix all the dry ingredients into the mixture of yogurt and lemon juice to prepare a marinade.
  2. Add chicken pieces into the marinade.
  3. Mix everything well. Cover the bowl and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but as long as overnight.
  4. Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. 
  5. Grill the skewered chicken until done or pop it into the oven for 15-20 minutes at a temperature of 400 deg. F.

For the Masala:
  1. Pour oil in a thick bottom pan. Add ginger garlic paste.Turn on the heat and let the paste slowly cook as the oil heats up. This perfumes the oil.
  2. When the oil is hot, add onion, coriander, fennel, black pepper powder and garam masala. Mix it all together.
  3. Add tomato puree and mix it very well with all the spices. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce starts reducing and the excess water evaporates. Stir occasionally scraping the bottom. 
  4. Add cooked chicken pieces along with the drippings if cooked in an oven and cream. Mix it all together and let it simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
  5. Turn off the heat, cover with a lid and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. 
  6. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve with naan, roti, or Rice Pulao (from Indian Simmer).

1 comment:

  1. I don't like curry, but this looks good, because I do like cilantro and naan!

    ReplyDelete