Sunday, June 5, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

So after my long hiatus, I'm going to update already!  Its nice to be baking and creating again.  I've been cooking dinners for my family almost every night and I've been experimenting with healthy desserts.  


I've been trying to create less of me, but I can't stop baking!  So far, I've made low-fat banana muffins and this delicious strawberry-rhubarb crisp.  


I've never made anything with rhubarb before and, I hate to admit this, but I'm pretty sure I've never even eaten rhubarb before.  I'm glad to report that I loved it!  It was tart and soft, not what I expected at all.  Rhubarb is pretty seasonal, so make this while its still around!


Sorry for the lack of pics lately, I keep eating the dessert before I get a chance to take a picture.  I'm not crazy about pictures of half eaten desserts...


Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp
From: Cooking Light

  • Ingredients
Filling:

  • 6 cups (1/2-inch) slices rhubarb (about 2 pounds)
  • 2 1/2 cups halved strawberries
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Cooking spray
Topping:

  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Dash of salt
  • 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces


  • Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 375°.
    2. To prepare filling, combine the first 6 ingredients. Spoon into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    3. To prepare topping, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (including salt) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over filling. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment