I've been trying to create less of me, but I can't stop baking! So far, I've made low-fat banana muffins and this delicious strawberry-rhubarb crisp.
I've never made anything with rhubarb before and, I hate to admit this, but I'm pretty sure I've never even eaten rhubarb before. I'm glad to report that I loved it! It was tart and soft, not what I expected at all. Rhubarb is pretty seasonal, so make this while its still around!
Sorry for the lack of pics lately, I keep eating the dessert before I get a chance to take a picture. I'm not crazy about pictures of half eaten desserts...
From: Cooking Light
- 6 cups (1/2-inch) slices rhubarb (about 2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 cups halved strawberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup regular oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare filling, combine the first 6 ingredients. Spoon into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (including salt) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over filling. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.