Monday, April 30, 2012

Shaved steak with onions and peppers

I really need to think of a new name for this blog.  I officially eat a gluten free diet and I have cut out most grains and legumes and reduced my dairy.  I'm working on eating a paleo diet, which focuses on natural foods prepared in more traditional ways.  It makes me feel a lot better and a recent trip to Chicago reconfirmed my decision to eat this way.  So, not a whole lot of baking going on here anymore,  but I have been cooking a ton and I've been trying to prepare most of our foods from scratch.  If anyone has a suggestion, let me know :)

The following recipe is one I kind of made up and is a quick and easy dinner for a week night.  You can add cheese to eat if you eat dairy, or leave it off!  Either way, it is yummy.  Tonight's version was one of the better versions, so I decided to share it!

Shaved Steak with Onions and Peppers
Serves 4 big appetites, or 6 small ones

  • 2 lbs of shaved steak
  • 2 bell peppers, any color, cut into strips
  • 1 yellow onion, cut in half and sliced
  • 3 slices of bacon, or Trader Joe's Bacon Ends and Pieces
  • salt, pepper, or Camp Spice
  1. Cook bacon on a low heat (medium or medium low) to render the fat out.  Once the bacon is crispy, take it out of the pan and put it aside.  You'll want to crumble it up when its cool and add it back later.
  2. Turn the heat up to medium or medium high.  Add peppers and onions to the bacon drippings.  Saute until the vegetables are soft and remove from pan.
  3. Add shaved steak to the pan.  Cook and stir, breaking up the pieces of steak, until the steak is cooked.  Add bacon, peppers, and onions to the beef and stir.  Season with salt and pepper, or Camp Spice.
  4. You can top with cheese, barbecue sauce, or nothing at all!
Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. you forgot the part where you throw it into a big old fat hoagie roll....

    ReplyDelete