Thursday, July 19, 2012

Caprese Chicken

I've been a little absent lately, but there hasn't been much cooking lately in my house.  Its been hot and, without air conditioning, the want to cook is missing.  When I have cooked, its been a lot of basics or things you've seen already: chicken tikka masala, enchilada casserole, chocolate mousse, and some pork stir fry (which I might share soon).


One of my favorite combinations for summer is tomatoes and basil, so when I came upon a recipe for Caprese Chicken, I had to try it.  I don't have a grill, so I had to come up with some alterations for this recipe.  It has cool, creamy cheese with fresh, bright basil on warm chicken with a zingy balsamic glaze.

Caprese Chicken
adapted from: Add A Pinch

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
  • a handful of basil leaves
  • 1 or 2 tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Drizzle olive oil on chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake until thoroughly cooked, 30-40 minutes.
  2. Slice mozzarella cheese and tomatoes about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
  3. Heat balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan or saute pan over medium-high heat until it starts to bubble.  Turn heat down to medium and simmer until the vinegar reduces down and becomes much thicker, between 5 and 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.
  4. Start to build your caprese chicken stack: place mozzarella, tomato, and one or two basil leaves on top of the chicken breast.  Drizzle balsamic glaze over chicken and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yea....definately going to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This valuable information is invaluable. Where might I discover more? http://www.exoticcarrental305.com

    ReplyDelete