Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Coconut and Macadamia Crusted Chicken Tenders

Sometimes I miss fried foods, but its not really for the bread or the "fry," but for the crunch and the flavor. I wanted to find a replacement food that would have lots of healthy fat and stick with my paleo way of eating.  I also have the added challenge of being allergic of two delicious kinds of nuts: almonds and hazelnuts.  But, I lucked out and found a yummy sounding recipe from Stuff I Make My Husband.  Mine wasn't nearly as pretty as hers, but it was yummy and had the flavor and crunch that I love.  Added bonus: Mango dijon dipping sauce that reminds me of a honey mustard!


Coconut and Macadamia Crusted Chicken Tenders
slightly adapted from: Stuff I Make My Husband

  • 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut flakes
  • about 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts (I used raw, roasted and salted would work too)
  • pinch of salt (more if you used raw macadamia nuts)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 egg whites
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F).  Have a baking sheet lined with parchment ready.
  2. Cut chicken into even sized pieces, similar to chicken tenders.
  3. Using the shredder on your food processor, chop up the macadamia nuts.  Best way to do this: put the nuts in the tube of the food processor lid and cover with the pusher so they don't fly up and hit you in the face!  
  4. Use the same technique as above to shred your coconut into smaller pieces.  Combine nuts, coconut, garlic powder, and salt onto a plate.
  5. Put the egg whites in a shallow dish.
  6. Dip chicken in the egg whites and then press into the nut mixture until thoroughly coated.  Place onto parchment lined baking sheet.
  7. Cook for about 20 minutes.  Flip chicken over and cook for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and coated is golden brown.
Mango Dijon Dipping Sauce
also from: Stuff I Make My Husband
  • 1 ripe mango
  • 1/4 cup dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp sriracha sauce
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  1. Peel and cut the mango (doesn't matter if the chop is neat, you are going to blend it)
  2. Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
  3. Dip in your yummy chicken!!

No comments:

Post a Comment