Saturday, May 22, 2010

Honey Beer Bread

Hello everyone, sorry I've been missing for a while.  Over the past few weeks I've had some exciting things happen.  Brian came to visit us for a whole week and we had a lot of fun, started partying around 1pm every day!  My parents came to visit last weekend for my graduation!!  After five years, I am finally done with my undergrad!  I have one semester left for student teaching and then I will finally be able to join the work force.

I have been baking a lot lately and I have some awesome recipes to share with you soon.  The one I'm going to share today is Honey Beer Bread.  This is one of my favorite quick breads to make because it is so delicious and sooooo fast!!  There is a Mulberry Tree growing in the garden so I picked some of those the other day and decided to add them to this recipe.  If you don't have mulberries, you could use any other type of berry or just leave them out, it is so good without anything added.

 I ate some before I remember to take a picture, oops!

Honey Beer Bread
adapted from: Gimme Some Oven 
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer (I prefer Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier, it goes so well with the mulberries)
  • 4 Tbsp. (half stick) butter, melted
  • 1 cup of mulberries, or berry of your choice (optional)
Method:
(Makes 1 loaf)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ inch loaf pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, berries, and salt.  Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer and honey into the dry ingredients until just mixed.  (I like to spray my measuring spoon with Pam so that it comes out really easily)
  3. Pour half the melted butter into the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter.  (Use a pastry brush to spread it around if you’d like.)
  4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve immediately.
*If you leave the berries out and use a less sweet beer this goes really well with dinner.

4 comments:

  1. The mulberries survived your second tornado? Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they did! I was really excited and more keep ripening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the blackberry whitbeer isn't as delicious
    to drink.

    ReplyDelete