Monday, May 24, 2010

Scones

Three posts in three days?  That's gotta be a record or something!  Like I said in an earlier post, I've made some really good things lately and they are pretty easy too.  I think I have shared my love for King Arthur Flour before, but I don't know if I have told you how great their recipes are!  I have made a few things from them before, but their scones are real winners.

You can make these scones with anything you like.  I have used chocolate chips and another time I used craisins and a citrus-vanilla extract from King Arthur.  I have only made the drop version, which I will post here.  If you want to make pretty triangle ones, you should head over to their website.  Actually, you should probably go over to their website anyways, its pretty great.  On to the recipe...

Scones
from: King Arthur Flour

Dough

  • 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 1 cup to 2 cups chopped dried fruit, chocolate or other flavored chips, nuts, or a combination, optional
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or the flavoring of your choice
  • 3/4 cup half and half or milk (I use milk, it works fine)

Topping

  • 2 teaspoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons sparkling white sugar or cinnamon sugar, optional
 Instructions

1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.(I use my stand mixer to make these)
2) Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.
3) Stir in the fruit, chips, and/or nuts, if you're using them.
4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla or other flavor, and half and half or milk.
5) Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.
6) Using a large ice cream scoop or spoon, dollop the scone dough in 1/3-cupfuls onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or in the refrigerator overnight if you want to make hot fresh scones in the morning.
7) Bake the scones in a preheated 375°F oven for about 30 minutes (my oven usually cooks them faster, so watch them after 20 minutes).
8) Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to several days. 

*my notes are in italics

No comments:

Post a Comment