Friday, June 4, 2010

Quinoa Salad

I start my new job next week as night time coordinator at the Writing Center and I am very excited.  That doesn't really have anything to do with the recipe for today, but I thought I'd share :)

Today's recipe, quinoa salad, is something I kind of made up.  I was inspired by a recipe for quinoa stuffed peppers.  I made this to bring to a friend's house the other day and she asked for the recipe, so I thought I would share it with everyone here too!  Max loves this, so its not a girly meal; he finished everything that was left over from Brittani and Chris's house, I didn't get to have any!

Quinoa Salad
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water (or chicken broth)
  • 1-2 avocados, diced into cubes (depending on taste or availability) 
  • 6-10 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 can Rotel (I used the kind with cilantro and lime juice)
  • lime juice (however much tastes good to you, it also helps stop the avocado from browning)
  • cilantro (optional)
  • salt and pepper
  1. To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water (or broth) to a boil.  Add the quinoa.  Turn heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.  Fluff with a fork.  Let it cool for a while before you add all of the other ingredients.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to the quinoa.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Chill and enjoy!  
I usually eat this for lunch.  Quinoa is very filling and is considered a complete protein.  If you haven't had it before, you really should try it.  It looks a little like couscous, except bigger.  It has more flavor than couscous or rice.  I usually make it with Better than Bouillon because it adds a bit more flavor.

3 comments:

  1. MMM...Where do you find quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got quinoa at Native Roots in Norman, but if your grocery store has a bulk bin, they sometimes have it there.

    ReplyDelete