We made these on Saturday to go along with the alligator burgers and butternut squash fries that she and her husband made, yum. I had never had alligator before and I was quite surprised! It was very tasty, especially with the barbecue sauce and bacon from the butcher we put on them!
On to the recipe: these Strawberry Lemonade bars were really tasty and a nice, light dessert for a hot summer night. These were a bit tart, so if you want a sweeter bar, I would recommend using 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of the called for 1 1/4. Also, the crust is a little thin on these, so if you like a nice, thick shortbread crust you may want to consider multiplying the crust ingredients by 1.5.
Strawberry Lemonade Bars
from: Playing House
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (Amy's note: I used an entire 3 lb. bag of small lemons to get a cup of juice)
- 2-3 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries (about 3/4 cup berries)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Powdered sugar (optional)
2. Begin by making the crust. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter, until smooth and fluffy. Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour and salt until mixture is crumbly. Pour into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for about 17 minutes, until set at the edges.
3. While the crust bakes, prepare the filling. In the bowl of a food processor (or blender!!), combine lemon juice, lemon zest, strawberry puree, sugar and eggs and process until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder and salt, then pulse until smooth. Gently pour the filling over the hot crust when it has finished baking. Return pan to oven and bake for 23-26 minutes, until the filling is set (There will be a light colored “crust” on top from the sugar in the custard - nothing to worry about).
4. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Cool completely before slicing and use a damp knife to ensure clean slices. Store bars in the refrigerator, especially on a hot day.
Makes 24 bars.