Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Heavenly Chocolate Mousse

Another post already?  Why, yes!  I have made this chocolate mousse three times now and it is so yummy.  I have not made it the same way twice because sometimes I have one type of chocolate and sometimes I am missing eggs (oops!) and sometimes I really want a dark chocolate orange mousse, which was the case tonight.

For those of you who don't know, I work at a chocolate factory.  Because of this, I usually have a surplus of chocolate on hand and I don't usually eat any of it.  If you're lucky enough to live close to me, you've probably benefited from this, and if you haven't then I apologize.  I had some wonderful orange dark chocolate (which is one of my favorites) and was craving a dessert.

Now this is not low fat or low anything in fact, but it a nice indulgence at the end of a long day.  I'm going to post the original recipe, but feel free to play with the flavors a bit.  Even if you mess this up, it will be a delicious mistake!

Heavenly Chocolate Mousse
from: All Recipes

Ingredients

  • 8 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (if you prefer milk, use it, if you like flavored chocolate, use it!!)
  • 1/2 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (If you use a sweeter chocolate, such as milk, reduce to 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, whipped

Directions

  1. In a microwave or double boiler, heat chocolate, 1/4 cup water and butter until the chocolate and butter are melted. Cool for 10 minutes. 
  2. In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160 degrees F (it will feel slightly thicker under your whisk), about 1-2 minutes. 
  3. Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate mixture. Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled, about 5-10 minutes (or, as I did, whisk egg mixture into chocolate and place in fridge, whisking every few minutes.  Don't forget about it or your chocolate may seize up)
  4. Fold in whipped cream (Don't use cool whip or the stuff from a can!  It won't work or taste good.  Tip for great whipped cream: place whisk and bowl in freezer for 15 minutes before making). Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.  Then lick the bowl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment