Monday, March 8, 2010

mmmm enchiladas

Tonight I made enchiladas.  They were amazing, and vegetarian.  Not that that really matters, but I'm trying to eat healthier and these were filling.  I think the ingredients were pretty cheap, didn't really add it up.  If I had bought more cheese then I could have made almost a whole other 13x9 pan of these because there was extra filling.  Since I had extra filling, I made some quinoa and made quinoa salad.  I like to mix veggies with quinoa.  Max and I really like this and it will make a good lunch tomorrow to bring to school.

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
from: The Cooking Photographer
10 to 12 small flour or corn tortillas (I like corn, kinda reminds me of tamales)
10 oz package chopped spinach, thawed (I do this in the microwave)
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles and spices, drained
¾ cup scallions, chopped
19 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
8 oz sour cream
3 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Garlic powder and onion powder
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get out a 9x13 inch Pyrex baking dish.

2. In a colander, squeeze out as much water from the spinach as you can by pressing the spinach with the back of a spoon. Place the spinach in a large bowl. Add the rinsed beans, drained tomatoes, most of the scallions, and dash of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

3. Mix together the sour cream and green chile enchilada sauce. Spread about 1/3 of the sauce mixture into the 9x13 inch dish.

4. On a plate, place a tortilla and top with some of the spinach mixture and a small amount of pepper jack cheese. Roll into cigar shape and place into the baking dish seam side down. Repeat until the dish is full.

5. Spread the rest of the sauce on top of the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese and scallions. Bake for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Wait a few minutes and serve.

No picture of these because, even though they are yummy, enchiladas don't photograph that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment