Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Orange Cranberry Bread

Sorry about the slight lull in recipes and pictures, when you are out of essentials like milk and eggs, baking becomes difficult.  I bought 2 dozen eggs this week, though we are already out of milk again!  Max drinks so much milk, I bought two gallons on Friday and we are already out.  We should probably just go ahead and buy a cow.

Our math class had a little bit of a tiff with the teacher last week, so to make amends we decided to bring a breakfast feast to class.  Everyone pitched in and I ended up eating what probably amounted to 3 days worth of carbs.  I don't even know when the last time I ate 2 donuts was...  Anyways, I made Orange Cranberry Bread for class because I had just bought a huge bag of oranges and it is delicious.  I have made this recipe at least three times and it has become one of my favorites.  I stocked up on fresh cranberries during Thanksgiving when they were 99 cents a bag.  Max thought I was a little insane, but they are coming in useful now, especially when frozen cranberries are like $4 a bag now.

Last year my mom got me a citrus juicer which makes getting the orange juice for this recipe really easy.  If you don't have one of these, try to get one.  They are really helpful, especially if you use a lot of lemons and limes in recipes.

Orange Cranberry Bread
from: Baking Bites
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 tbsp orange zest
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen (unthawed) cranberries
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries

  1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
  2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add in in orange juice, orange zest, oil and egg and mix until just combined. Stir in whole and dried cranberries. Spread evenly in loaf pan.
  3. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.
  4. Makes 1 loaf.
*And I didn't burn it this time!!!!!!!

Also, here is a picture of the valentine brownies I made a few weeks ago.  I finally uploaded them onto my computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment