On a side note, it snowed here yesterday! It was 65 on Friday, snowed on Saturday, and tomorrow its supposed to be 65 again! It wasn't a ton of snow, but very odd for March in Oklahoma.
Sweet and Savory Pumpkin Soup
From: Food Network
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup half-and-half (I used fat-free)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat, and cook, whisking frequently, until the butter starts to brown and foam, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, carrot, celery, sage, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, and cook until tender, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Stir in the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Stir together the half-and-half and cornstarch in a liquid measuring cup, and pour it into the pot, along with the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. When the soup starts to thicken reduce the heat to low.
- Using an immersion blender*, puree the soup until a smooth consistency is reached and simmer until ready to serve. Ladle the soup into serving bowls.