Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oatmeal Cookies

This coming week I'm started what I like to call pre-student teaching.  I'll be in a fourth grade class for three weeks, every day.  Sometimes I'll teach lessons, but I'll also be observing and helping out around the class.  I'm nervous, but I'm excited.  I'm really close to being done with school, next semester is student teaching!  I'm also excited for this week because it means I'll be home every night for dinner.  I finally get to make dinner more than once a week!!
Last week I made Oatmeal Craisin Cookies.  I don't like raisins, so I replaced them with craisins.  They have a nice tanginess.  Usually, I add white chocolate chips to this recipe, but with all the sugar I decided to leave them out.  Plus, I don't think I have any in the cabinet.  I froze half of this batch, but I already thawed it and baked the cookies.  This is the Quaker Oats recipe, but not the one you can find on the website.  I guess they have changed the recipe, this is the one I cut off the top of a can of oats a few years ago.



Vanishing Oatmeal Craisin Cookies
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt (kosher is preferable)
  • 3 cups quick cook or old fashioned oats (I use old fashioned)
  • 1 cup craisins (or as many as you want)
  1. Heat oven to 350F.
  2. Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.
  3. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
  4. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix well.
  5. Stir in oats and craisins.  Mix well, probably need to do this by hand.
  6. Drop rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet (don't use parchment or silpat, they spread out too much).
  7. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.  Turn the pan halfway through if your oven has a hotspot like mine.  If you are using a non-stick cookie sheet, only preheat the oven to 325 because the bottoms might burn.
  8. Cool one minute on a cookie sheet and then cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.

1 comment:

  1. I always make them with Craisins too. I'm not a huge raisin fan either.

    And, I made your taco soup the other night. We liked it, but thought that it tasted a lot like chili. And, that's what we had the night before Matt's stomach attack...so, I'm not sure if that's going to be a big hit in our house. But, I wanted to let you know, anyway.

    Happy pre-student teaching! You're going to go fabulously!

    ReplyDelete