Wednesday, February 3, 2010

another busy week

This week has been another busy one.  I haven't even been able to make dinner this week, as I'm writing my stomach is growling.  I had a bowl of rice with peas for dinner because it was the only thing I could scrounge up in my house, I really need to do a better job food shopping this weekend.

I did manage to make some cookies this weekend.  I made the dough on Sunday so that I could stick some in the oven when I had time on Monday.  I felt bad for my class because I had promised them dessert at some point and I hadn't delivered yet.  I made a double batch of Martha Stewart's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I split the batch in half so that I could add different things.  I added orange zest to one half and coconut to the other half of the dough.  They were really successful, though the orange ones more so.  One of my teachers even asked for the recipe.  I'll post the recipe later with pictures, but I'm at work and can't find the right recipe online.

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Martha Stewart
Makes about 3 dozen
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  2. Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  3. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week. 
*I added the zest of one orange to these and it was excellent.  Add this at the same time that you add the salt, vanilla, and eggs.  Make sure you wash your orange well first!!

2 comments:

  1. Those look DELICIOUS! Did you use your mixer to make the dough? Because, I love doing that. I usually mix in the chocolate chips by hand, but the rest of it goes in the mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did use the mixer and the shield so the flour didn't go everywhere!! it was great :)

    ReplyDelete