Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pound Cake #2

So, I attempted pound cake again for Luke's Superbowl party this weekend.  I used a different recipe in hopes that I would not burn it, and guess what!?  I didn't!  I managed not to undercook it also!  I was really happy with the results and made another loaf after the first one came out of the oven so that Max and I would have something to snack on during the week.  I also made the chocolate chip cookies with orange from the previous post again this weekend for a friend's birthday.  I realized as I was making the cookies that I forgot half of the butter last time!  Although I wouldn't recommend it just in case, the cookies were really good even though they were missing half of their fat and no one noticed the difference.

On to the recipe:

 
Condensed Milk Pound Cake

  • 1 cup (8 oz, 2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/3 cups (7 oz) all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup (3 3/4 oz) sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean, chopped, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (8 1/2 oz) sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 large eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
  2. Sift together the flour and baking powder; set aside. Put the sugar and the chopped vanilla bean, if using, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse until the vanilla bean is finely ground and then sift the sugar/bean mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, returning the mixture to the food processor afterward. (If you aren't using the vanilla bean put only the sugar in the bowl of the food processor at this point.)
  3. Add the butter and salt to the food processor. Process until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and then add the condensed milk and pulse until well incorporated, about 15 times. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Add the dry ingredients and pulse until no traces of the flour remain, about 10 times. Add the eggs and pulse just until combined, about 5 times. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. (If you are using vanilla extract, add it now.) Finish mixing by hand to fully incorporate the ingredients.
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a tested inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool completely in the loaf pan on a rack.
Make sure to start checking on it at the 50 minute mark, some ovens have higher or lower temperatures.  If you are baking in a nonstick loaf pan, lower the temperature of your oven by 25 degrees.  I did this and I think its why I managed not to burn it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment