I also started my block student teaching last week. I am helping out in a fourth grade class room with a partner. It is supposed to ease us into student teaching. I will do two more Fridays in the class and then I'll be there for three full weeks. I'll get to teach and help out kids!
Here are the recipes for the brownies and granola. Sorry there are no pictures!!!
adapted from Aaron Sanchez's Mexican Brownies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Press the paper into the corners of the pan and lightly grease the paper with butter.
- Melt the 2 sticks of butter in a nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat; do not boil. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla to the saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add the cocoa, flour, cinnamon, chili powder, salt and baking powder and mix until smooth. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out fudgy, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack, then use the parchment paper to lift out the brownies before slicing.
Maple Pumpkin Granola
adapted from Sugar Plum
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4-1/2 cup Craisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, pumpkin, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until combined; stir in oats and sunflower seeds until combined. Spread onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crisp. Remove from oven and stir in craisins and cool.