I kept trying to figure out what I should make for our gathering. I wanted to make something really quick and something that I could eat with a burger in case there were limited food options (which there weren't!!). I was thinking caprese bites, but making each tiny salad on a toothpick was going to take awhile. Then I remembered a wonderful thing that we had started making at the in-law's a few summers ago.
This salad is super quick and is a real crowd pleaser! The ingredient list is really short, which is an extra bonus!
Caprese Salad for a Crowd
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Almost a cup of basil leaves (not a packed cup, just a big handful size)
- 16oz mozzarella (full fat tastes better!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of pepper
- Cut the mozzarella into small squares or rectangles like above. If you can find tiny little balls of mozzarella, those would be really cute and you could cut them in half to match the tomatoes!
- Chiffonade the basil. This is really simple, but sounds fancy. Stack some basil leaves and roll into a little cigar shape. Slice down the leaves to create little strips of basil.
- Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and toss gently. Sprinkle on the olive oil and vinegar and add the pepper. Toss gently and serve
- If you are going to eat this later, I would recommend adding the vinegar right before serving, otherwise everything turns a little brown and isn't as pretty. Enjoy!