It is during this time of the year that I love zucchini and summer squash, but I get bored with the same old steaming or grilling, so I searched Pinterest for some squash inspiration. I found a beautiful picture of zucchini boats that were roasted in the oven with little grape tomatoes, perfect! Bonus, these tasted wonderful and even got approval from the kids of a coworker!
I forgot to take a picture, so you'll have to make a mental picture :)
adapted from: Proud Italian Cook
- 4 medium, straight zucchinis
- 16 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- a pinch of pepper
- a pinch of salt
- 8 thin slices of mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (the real stuff is better!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with tinfoil.
- Slice the zucchinis lengthwise and scoop the seeds out of the middle. Line them up on the cookie sheet.
- Place the grape tomatoes in the zucchini boats, 4 to a zucchini.
- Drizzle zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle on the garlic powder, pepper, and salt.
- Bake for about twenty minutes, or until zucchini is starting to get soft.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven. Turn the temperature up to 400 degrees.
- Put the mozzarella on the zucchini and sprinkle the Parmesan on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown. Watch it closely to make sure it doesn't burn! Enjoy!