Friday, June 15, 2012

Garlic and Pumpkin Mashed Sweet Potatoes

How do you like the new blog title?  Since I can't bake with real flour anymore, the old title seemed ill-fitting.  Max came up with the nickname "wife-a-saurus" a while ago, though I'm not sure if it was meant as a term of endearment...Since people in the paleo world often say that they eat like a dinosaur, I thought this would make a cute new title.

So, with the new title comes a new recipe with a paleo spin.  I roasted an entire turkey last week which was left over from Thanksgiving and was taking up far too much room in my freezer.  I needed a side for my turkey, but didn't want a traditional mashed potato.  I have made these before and they made a perfect pair for my turkey.

This recipe does use dairy, but could easily be made with coconut milk for those with a dairy intolerance.


Garlic and Pumpkin Mashed Sweet Potatoes
adapted from: Oh She Glows

  • 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 14oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie spiced!)
  • 1 10oz package of frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and drained of excess liquid)
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Put the diced sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes break apart easily with a fork, just like a regular potato.  Drain water from potatoes and return to pot.
  2. Add garlic to potatoes right away.  I find the potatoes are hot enough to get rid of the raw garlic flavor.
  3. Mash the potatoes a bit and then add the pumpkin, spinach, cream, and butter.  Mash and stir until the potatoes are fairly smooth.  I enjoy some chunks in the mashed sweet potatoes, but that is up to you.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment