So, with the new title comes a new recipe with a paleo spin. I roasted an entire turkey last week which was left over from Thanksgiving and was taking up far too much room in my freezer. I needed a side for my turkey, but didn't want a traditional mashed potato. I have made these before and they made a perfect pair for my turkey.
This recipe does use dairy, but could easily be made with coconut milk for those with a dairy intolerance.
Garlic and Pumpkin Mashed Sweet Potatoes
adapted from: Oh She Glows
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 14oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie spiced!)
- 1 10oz package of frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and drained of excess liquid)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Put the diced sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes break apart easily with a fork, just like a regular potato. Drain water from potatoes and return to pot.
- Add garlic to potatoes right away. I find the potatoes are hot enough to get rid of the raw garlic flavor.
- Mash the potatoes a bit and then add the pumpkin, spinach, cream, and butter. Mash and stir until the potatoes are fairly smooth. I enjoy some chunks in the mashed sweet potatoes, but that is up to you. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!